A brief history of the Methodist church in Arnside
Although John Wesley crossed Morecambe Bay in 1759, Methodism did not become established in Arnside until the middle of the 19th century when services were held in Arnside Tower Farm, home of Robert Gibson.
The original part of the present church building in the village was opened in 1876 and dedicated to the memory of Robert Gibson. As the congregation increased, extensions were built, starting in 1888 with the present hall and then the major work of extending the church itself began in 1888 and was completed in 1900.
The original building was converted into two transepts with a nave, extending eastwards, thus establishing the building as seen from its exterior. The present Manse, next to the church was purchased in 1937. The church is fortunate in having some beautiful stained glass windows, in particular the Peace Window, installed in 1921 and dedicated as “a thank-offering for the restoration of peace after the Great War, 1914-1918.
The interior of the building remained much the same throughout the 20th century but a major renovation of the whole interior, costing £110,000, was completed in December 2006.
Pews were replaced with chairs, a new carpet fitted, a new raised dais and communion area with a specially built table, lectern and font made by a local craftesman was installed as were new lighting and sound systems. Finally the entrance porch was also renovated and a new glass door fitted at the entrance, again created by a local firm of glass specialists. This created seating for 150 people.
In recent years, an improved sound system, projector and screen have been installed, helping to add variety to our forms of worship, and a new ramp for disabled access has been installed, allowing ease of access from the church hall into the main body of the church.
In May 2023 a complete refurbishment of the Hall was completed.